Chronicle of the Holy Dormition Kiev-Pechersk Lavra
The 1st half of XI century – priest Illarion from the village of Berestovo dug out a cave on the nearby hill for prayer ascetic labors.
1051 – Great Kiev Prince Yaroslav the Wise elected priest Illarion to serve as Metropolitan of Kiev. Venerable Anthony’s coming to Illarion’s cave and his foundation of the Kiev-Pechersk monastery and the Far Caves.
1054 – Former Metropolitan Illarion’s return to the monastery.
1062 – Barlaam was elected the first Pechersk Farther Superior. Venerable Antony’s foundation of the Near Caves, monks’ resettlement from the Caves to the ground cells.
1063 – Theodosius was elected Pechersk Farther Superior.
1073 – Foundation of the main church of the monastery – the Dormition Cathedral. Anthony Pechersky’s death. Nikon completed the Code of Chronicle.
1074 – Theodosius Pechersky’s death. Stephan was elected Pechersk Farther Superior.
1078 – Nikon was elected Pechersk Farther Superior.
1089 – Consecration of the Dormition Cathedral.
1091 – Theodosius Pechersky’s holy relics were removed from the Far Caves to the Dormition Cathedral.
1096 – Khan Bonyak with Polovtsy attacked the monastery.
1106 – The foundation of the Trinity Gate Church by Nikola the Pious, Prince of Chernigov, who became a monk in the Pechersk Monastery.
1108 – Theodosius Pechersky’s canonization. Finishing of building of a stone refectory.
1113 – Nestor finished his Chronicle ‘The tale of by-gone years’. Prokhor was elected a Pechersk Farther Superior.
1151 – Plundering of the monastery during the internecine war for Great Prince throne.
1157 – Prince Yuriy Dolgorukiy’s burial in Savior’s Church of Berestovo.
1159 – Possibly, Prince Andrew Bogolyubsky gave a title of ‘Lavra’ to the monastery, the status of great princely archmandricy and stauropegion by.
1169 – Ravage of the monastery by joined forces of Mstislav and other princes.
1171 – Polovtsy attacked the monastery.
1182 – Basil was elected Pechersk Farther Superior.
1203 – Forces of Ryurik Rostislavovoch, Princes Olegovichs and Polovtsy attacked the monastery.
1223-1233 – Monk Polikarp and Simon, bishop of Vladimir and Suzdal composed ‘The Kiev-Pechersky Paterikon’.
1235 – Attack of the monastery by joined forces of princes, headed by Izyaslav Mstislavovich Smolensky.
1240 – Conquest of Kiev by khan Batiy’s hordes, plunder, ruin and desolation of the monastery.
1300 – Tatars attacked Kiev. Kiev Metropolitan removed to Vladimir.
1321 – Lithuanian Prince Gedimin’s forces entrance to Kiev.
1362 – Tatars’ banishment from Kiev by Lithuanian Prince Olgerd.
1399 – Siege of Kiev by forces of khan Gemur-Kugluk and Edigey, receiving a ransom from Kievan and the Pechersk monastery.
1406 – Creating of the version of ‘The Kiev-Pechersky Paterikon’ by bishop Arseniy, Tver. (Arseniy’s version).
1416 – Khan Edigey’s foray on Kiev, plunder of the monastery.
1439 – Prince Theodor’s Ostrozhsky taking monastic vows. His rich donation to the treasury of the monastery.
1460 – Creation of the version of ‘The Kiev-Pechersky Paterikon’ by statute maker of the Kiev-Pechersky monastery by Kassian (Kassian’s version).
1463 – The miracle happened to venerable Dionisiy Schepa in Anthonian Caves.
1470 – The reconstruction of the monastery on Kiev Prince Semen Olelkovich’s means.
1481 – The Lavra’s rights confirmation by the Patriarch Constantinopolitan Maximus.
1482 – Ravage of Kiev and the monastery by Crimean khan Mengly-Girey’s hordes.
1494 – Lithuanian Prince Alexander’s diploma on confirmation rights on archmandricy.
1511 – Kiev Metropolitan Joseph Solan received the privilege on clergy’s independence from temporal power.
1516 – Reconstruction of the Dormition Cathedral on Constantine Ostrozhsky’s means.
1516, 1525 – Ambassador Gerbershtein arrived in Kiev, who composed the description of the city and the monastery in ‘The Notes of Moskovia’ (version of 1549).
1579 – Creating and arrangement Prince Constantine Ostrozhsky’s memorial in the Dormition Cathedral.
1594 – Erich Lyasota arrived in Kiev, who composed the detailed description of Kiev and the monastery.
1596-1615 – Polish King Sigizmund and the Pope Clement VIII attempted to subordinate the Lavra of Kiev to Union.
1614 – Foundation of the Lavra typography by Pechersk archimandrite Elisey Pletenetsky.
1616 – Editing of ‘The Book of Hours’ – the first book of the Lavra typography.
1619 – Restoration of Orthodox hierarchy by Patriarch Antiohiysky Theophan.
1621, 1630 – Uniats attacked the monastery.
1627 – Petr Mohyla was elected Pechersk Farther Superior.
1631 – High school was opened and united with brethren school the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra.
1632 – Pechersk archimandrite Petr Mohyla was elected to the Kiev chair.
1635 – Publishing of ‘The Paterikon’ of Sylvester Kosov in the Lavra typography.
1638 – Publishing of ‘Thе Teraturgima’ of Aphanasy Kalnofoisky.
1643 – Canonization of 69 Pechersk Saints by Petro Mohyla.
1644 – Restoration of Saviour’s Church on Berestovo by Petr Mohyla.
1661 – The first printed edition of ‘The Kiev-Pechersky Paterikon’ in time of archimandrite Innokentiy Gizel.
1674 – Building of the wooden belfry.
Publishing of ‘The Synopsis’.
1675 – John Gerbiniy’s publishing of the book ‘The Religious Kiev Caves’.
1679 – Building of the Church of St. Anne’s Conception.
1688 – Assignment of the title ‘Lavra’ to the Pechersk monastery and subordination it to Moscow Patriarchate.
1691 – Creation of the underground Barlaam’s Church in the Near Caves.
1696 – Building of the Church of the Nativity of the Theotokos.
1696-1700 – Building of the Church of Resurrection of God and the Church of Theodosius Pechersky on colonel K. Mokievskiy’s means, from Bila Cerkva.
1696-1702 – Building on hetman I. Mazepa’s means the Church of All Saints, a fortified wall over the monastery with 6 towers, restoration of the Dormition Cathedral, the Trinity Church above the Gates and a printing workshop.
1700 – Building of the stone Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross on means of colonel Pavel Gertsyk from Poltava.
1718 – Fire in the Lavra, destruction of the monastery buildings and the library.
1720 – Constraction of a new building of the Lavra typography.
1721 – Establishment of Holy Synod and subordination the Kiev Lavra to it.
1722-1729 – Restoration of the Dormition Cathedral.
1731-1744 – Building of the Great Lavra Belfry.
1761-1763 – Building of the belfry above the Near Caves.
1763 – Creation of the icon-painting workshop.
1776 – Building of the wooden Church of Annunciation.
1786 – Subordination of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra to Kiev Metropolitan with giving him a title of Holy Archimandrite of Lavra.
1841-1845 – Building of a fortified wall over the lower territory of the Lavra.
1845 – Building of the brethren hospital.
1860 – Opening of two-classes national school.
1893 – Finding of monetary treasure in the Dormition Cathedral.
1893-1895 – Building of the new Refectory church and the refectory chamber.
1894-1901 – Painting of the Dormition Cathedral under the leadership of N. P. Vereschagin.
1911 – Burial of the Prime Minister of the The Russian Empire P.A. Stolypin at the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra.
1919 – Establishing of Kiev-Lavra agricultural and trade labour community on the landed estate of the monastery.
1919-1922 – Taking out of the church values by the Soviet forces.
1923 – Opening of the museum of cult and living on the territory of the Lavra.
1926 – Establishing of the Kiev-Pechersk historical and cultural state reserve (All-Ukrainian Museum town).
1930 – Expulsion of the monastic order from Lavra.
1941 – Explosion of the Holy Dormition Cathedral.
1942 – Restoration of the monastery on the lower territory of the Lavra.
1941-1943 – pillage of the Lavra values by German invaders.
1944 – Renewal of the work of the Kiev-Pechersk reservation.
1961 – Shutdown of the monastery on the lower territory of the Lavra.
1988 – Disposition of the Caves and above-ground buildings to the Church, restoration of the monastery and the Theological seminary.
1990 – Disposition of the Near Caves to the Church.
1990 – Resolution of XIV Session of UNESCO on including the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra to the List to the monuments of universal heritage.
1992 – Election of Metropolitan Vladimir (Sabodan) to the chair of Kiev prelates and giving him the title of Holy Archimandrite of the Lavra. Invention of the relics of the Russian Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and Galychyna (Bogoyavlensky), the first new martyr being in miter.
1994 – Archbishop Pavel was appointed the Father Superior of the Lavra.
1995 – Restoration of the Lavra typography.
2000 – Restoration of the Holy Dormition Cathedral.
2001 – Celebration of 950-year of Lavra. Arrival of the relics of St. Apostle Andrew the First Called.
2006 – Life-giving Cross of the Lord arrived in the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra.
2008 – Commemoration of 1020-year of Baptism of The Russia. Bartholomew I Patriarch of Constantinople and Alexy II Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia visited the Lavra.
Prepared by archimandrite Theophane and hierodeacon Elijah.